What is Expected in ‘Summarize Written Text’ Section of PTE Writing Module?
The most challenging part of the PTE test is the writing section. Students are required to write two summaries and one essay or two summaries and two essays or one essay and three summaries. The purpose of the PTE writing test is to assess the writing skills of the test takers.
Summarize written text section, as the name suggests, involves summarizing the important key points in the paragraph utilizing the information given in the paragraph. The duration of the ‘summarize written text’ section of the PTE test is only 10 minutes. Test takers are required to produce response in 5 to 75 words in the response box. No scores will be given if the length of the response exceeds 75 words.
Tips on PTE Summarize Written Text Section
In this article, we are going to share several useful tips that can help you ace PTE writing test.
- When you are writing responses, based on the paragraph you are given, ensure you write only one sentence. It should have a capital letter at the beginning and must end with a full stop.
- Since the word count for the paragraphs must lie between 5 words to 75 words, therefore, care should be taken that you do not exceed the limit.
- You can also use the ‘total word count’ counter, which lies below the response box. In case you write less than 5 words or more than 75 words, your response will not be scored.
- Since your response needs to be expressed within one sentence, therefore, you will need using a complex or compound sentence to be able to summarize the main point.
- In case, you are not acquainted with the use of compound and complex sentences, you can practice it beforehand so that you are able to summarize the main points given in the paragraph.
- While you are summarizing, ensure that you mention the main points of the paragraph mentioning the crucial supporting details.
- The PTE writing test is a time bound test. It lasts for 10 minutes. Test takers must be careful that they are able to manage time and complete the test on time. No extra time will be given to you if you do not complete the test on time.
PTE Summarize Written Text Example
Read the passage below and summarize it using one sentence. Type your response in the box at the bottom of the screen. You have 10 minutes to finish this task. Your response will be judged on the quality of your writing and on how well your response presents the key points in the passage.
Public figures include politicians and other public officials such as judges and civil servants as well as celebrities such as film stars, musicians and sports stars. The very nature of these roles opens these people to scrutiny by the press. The extent to which the media are legally free to investigate and publish details of public figures’ private lives varies from country to country. Countries like France are much stricter on protecting personal privacy than, for example, Britain.